I may or may not have impulsively booked flights to NYC (erm… surpriiiiiise, Daniel!) for my birthday, which happens to fall on Labor Day weekend.
I may or may not kiss the disgusting concrete and hug a street vendor upon arrival.
I have been missing you terribly, New York. So excited to be back again SOON!
|Context:||Something about The Beach Boys' "Kokomo" come up. Cue it being stuck in everyone's head.|
|15-year-old brother:||"Wasn't there's a band called "The Sync Boys"?|
|Me:||Uh, I don't think so.|
|Him:||Ohhh, I meant N'Sync!|
|Me:||......... You are so young.|
Two twenty-somethings, a blonde and a brunette, each lounging on separate couches, each refreshing Instagram and Snapchat accounts. A sparkling water sits on the coffee table next to a nearly-empty dinner plate with leftover stalks of broccoli getting cold. A couple of nail polishes that were picked up, set down, and never used (not in the past week, anyway) sit on the coffee table, as well.
Both girls lament over the fact that they each should/would go for a run, but then each’ll be compelled to shower and wash their hair to get rid of the sweat and bug spray. (Both become constants this time of year in Texas.) Washing hair turns into blow drying hair, which turns into a wasted hour or more.
“But I washed my hair last night! Sigh, I was hoping to not have to do that again tonight.”
Dry shampoo is a friend, but it can only get you so far.
Minutes pass in silence. One scrolls through Tumblr, the other answers text messages from her boyfriend.
“… Yeah, I’m not gonna go.”
“Uh, yeah, I’m not either.”
“But I’m FOR SURE going tomorrow.”
Did I just describe:
A) My life
B) One giant cliché
C) A Thought Catalog article
D) An excerpt from a Lena Dunham television show
- Hi. Death grip on my coffee this morning.
- My new cubicle (which looks quite closed in from this angle) is pretty sparse so far. This week, we went from desks in wiiiiiiiiide open spaces (cue the Dixie Chicks) to cubes! Ah, a continuously growing company + office life.
- Got my hair cut a couple of days ago. Had I taken this photo a couple of days ago, it probably would have reached my desk. It feels healthy again, though!
- Daniel and I are having dinner at Elizabeth Street Cafe tonight (Go look at all of the pictures! Beautiful place.) and I am excited! Mmm. Already looking forward to it.
- Last night, Brad Pitt made a surprise World War Z screening appearance at a movie theater approximately 1.1 miles from my apartment. Not a fan of his hair these days, but he’s a bonafide movie star. Pretty coooooool.
- It’s National Donut Day and I am still sans donut. :(
- Our monthly company happy hour is this afternoon! Always a reason to rejoice.
- Clearly, food and drink are things constantly on my mind.
Paul Qui of Top Chef (Oh, and Uchi, Uchiko, East Side King, etc.) fame is opening his flagship/eponymous new restaurant in a couple of weeks. I love that he is now a mainstay of the Austin restaurant scene and think all of the partnering he is doing with local businesses and artists is so awesome. Handmade ceramic plates, hand-stitched chef’s aprons, ahh! So great.
The menu sounds exotic and maybe even a little intimidating (Rabbit 7 Ways or Mexican street corn stopped with sea urchin bottarga, anyone?) but I’m excited!